These Gluten Free Chocolate Macaroons are very yummy. As I stated in last week’s blog I lost the recipe for chocolate macaroons that I made last year, because the link is broken this year, so I searched online and found a new recipe. Here is the link and I will also put the recipe here with my modifications, so we won’t lose it for next year.
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces), divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- place 1 cup of chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low setting at 10-second intervals until chocolate is melted. Stirring occasionally.
- Using mixer, beat egg whites and salt in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually ad sugar, then vanilla.
- Fold in melted chocolate and coconut, then remaining 1/3 cup of chocolate chips
- Drop heaping teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 10 minutes. Reverse baking sheets and bake for 1 more minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets or on racks.
- Store airtight at room temperature.
My changes are I used Chocolove full size chocolate chips because I like them and its what I had. I also used unsweetened coconut. These turned out plenty sweet without using sweetened shredded coconut. I also used cane sugar instead of refined white sugar.
I especially love these because the chocolate chips added at the end add a nice chocolate surprise when you bite into them.
Do you have any suggestions for improvement or a recipe for chocolate macaroons that you recommend? If so please leave a comment below.